Sat, Aug 20|
Wild Rose Co-op Recreation Centre
4th Annual Gathering of the Clans Highland Festival
The Gathering of the Clans is a day full of Scottish activities, such as heavy events, highland dancing, a petting zoo, vendor village, and more. The day concludes with a pig-roast supper, followed by a Ceilidh (dance) performed by the band Cabot's Crossing.
Time & Location
Aug 20, 2022, 10:00 a.m. – 11:59 p.m.
Wild Rose Co-op Recreation Centre, 5301 51 St, Sedgewick, AB T0B 4C0, Canada
Click "More Details >" immediately below for more event details and FAQs
Gate Admission- access to all of the day events
Ceilidh (Dance) Only- a dance to live music by Cabot's Crossing
What is the Gathering of the Clans Highland Festival?
Gathering of the Clans Highland Festival (or GOTCHF, pronounced 'got-chehff') is a day full of Scottish themed activities, such as heavy events, highland dancing, a petting zoo, vendor village, and more. The day concludes with a pig-roast dinner, followed by a Ceilidh (dance) performed by the band Cabot's Crossing.
In 2021, we had over 900 people in attendance, along with 5 Clan Tents, 6 Demonstrators, 9 Alcohol and Food Vendors, 15 Forms of Entertainment, 31 Tents in the Vendor Village, and more. To get a visual for what GOTCHF has looked like in the past, check out the Gallery page on our website.
General Schedule of Events:
Gates & Market Open - 10:00am
Opening Ceremonies - 11:00am (featuring the Battle River Pipes & Drums)
Scheduled Entertainment Begins- 11:30am**
Closing Ceremonies - 3:30pm
Mass Bands- 3:45pm
Gates & Market Close - 4:00pm
Happy Hour- 4:30pm
Pig Roast Supper - 5:00pm (available exclusively in the All Day Package, tickets are no longer available)
Ceilidh - 7:30pm
**see booked entertainment immediately below. A schedule of events is still to be determined. If you have purchased your ticket, we will send you an email with the finalized scheduled of events when it's ready.
Entertainment & Demonstrators:
*Scheduled between 10:00am-3:30pm
- Anna's Tarot Card Reading- Tarot card and rune reading
- Camrose Genealogy Society- T
- Harty's Locomotive Works Ltd- I provide blacksmithing, toolmaking, damascus steel, classes, and industrial forging.
- Harvest Moon Ink - Tattoos
- Mopsy Tucks- Period costuming, Dress for the occasion
Family Clan Tents:
- Clan Henderson/MacMillan - Clan Henderson - Sola Virtus Nobilitat / Clan MacMillan - Miseris Succurrere Disco
Artisan Vendors Attending:
- Applebox Sweets - Caramels, raffy, brittle, candy
- Ben & Simons' Pie Shoppe - Oat Cakes
- Blacksheep Bacon Jam - Bacon jam, maple syrup, coffee and seasoning
- Candle Tea - Hand poured beeswax candles in upcycled teacups
- Clouded Creations - For all your customised sewing needs!
- Cori's Cookie Shoppe - Sugar cookies, caramel chocolate covered pretzels, marshmellows
- Defining Doodles - Shirts, bags, coffee mugs, stickets, art
- Golden Scarab- Shawls and hand made products
- Grazing Acres- A fold of fluffy Scottish Highland Cows you can take home with you today (no barn required!).
- Harlan Ruud- Rare minerals, gems, artifacts from across Canada and around the world
- Holy Celtic Church in Canada- early Celtic Christian traditions from beyond Hadrian's wall.
- Hooks, Needles, Stitches and Me- Crochet and sewn products
- Innovative Artisans & Kayleigh's Kurios- An eclectic mix of pewter metal art, woodcraft, the tiny, the shiny and Scotland.
- Johnny K's Finest - Indulge your guilty pleasure…. Ya know Ya Wanna..
- Joyful Creations - Paintings and some rhinestoned items
- JStorch Knives - Hand crafted knives and classes taught
- Kerri Dawn Studios - Whimsical artwork and products by Keri
- Like it Never Was Antiques and More - purveyors of the unique and antique, rustic and handcrafted. We have something for everyone!
- Mama Judes Studio- Unique, upcycled jewellery. Original, one-of-a-kind designs using reclaimed materials.
- Merlelee Creations- Wearable art made with love.
- Prairie Soap Shack - All-Natural & Wildcrafted body & skin care
- Rebel Ridge Soaps
- Sam's Jewellery - Handmade jewelry
- Shining Brow Designs - Shining Brow is hand painted clothing and keepsakes with Celtic and Norse design
- Tattered Strands - Celtic Jewelry
- The Burly Bee - Local fresh unpasteurized Honey
- The Crafting Camel- Original one of a kind paintings and jewlery
- TJZ Creations - Reusable handmade home products
- Tree Weaver - Celtic inspired weaving utilizing natural found objects
- Wildrose Cinnamon Buns- Handmade and fresh cinnamon buns, with a variety of unique flavours to choose from!
Alcohol Vendors Attending:
- Back 40 Distillery- Local spirits from local ingredients
- Blindman Brewing- Fresh craft beer from sunny Lacombe!
- Country Stone Distillery
- Detention Brewery
- Grey Dog Distilling Ltd- Quality spirits made with Alberta-sourced ingredients
- Hawke Prohibition Distilleries
- Old Prospector Distilling - Tasters and sales of our vodka, perhaps some ready to drink canned beverages
- Norsemen Brewing Co - Grown here. Brewed here. Enjoyed here.
- Tamarack Jacks Honey and Meadery - Mead and honey products
- True North Cider - Locally produced, small batch cider crafted from 100% Canadian grown apples.
- Good to Go - Overtime Taphouse Camrose Food truck
- Little Jack Horner Meat Pies- 100% Handmade Traditional Meat Pies
- Savvy's Curry in a Hurry - where Diverse meets delicious
- Sugar Bowl Highlands- Government Inspected Highland Meat
- The Yorkshire Chippy Truck - English Style Fish and Chips
- Triple D's Eat n Run
- True Fire Smoke and Grill - Smoke meat, salad, poutine
This year we have All Seasons Pig Roast & Catering from Red Deer, AB providing the supper which includes:
BBQ Roasted Pig with Apple Sauce
Fresh Dinner Buns
Garlic Caesar Salad
and of course dessert!
*There will be a food truck with alternatives available*
Exclusively available in the All Day Package - tickets are no longer available
Ceilidh (Dance)- pronounced kay-lee
A ceilidh is a Scottish word for a social gathering involving dancing and live music. What better way to conclude the day than by dancing the night away to the music of Cabot's Crossing! And in true Scottish spirit, there will of course be a bar!
*Ceilidh-Only tickets are available
Frequently Asked Questions:
Will I need to wear a mask?
- At this current point in time, masks are optional following the provincial guidelines.
Will I need to show proof of vaccination?
- No you will not
Is there a chance that GOTCHF will be cancelled?
- Unfortunately, yes. As an outdoor public gathering event, the status of our event is dependant on the provincial restrictions in place.
Do I need to bring my ticket with me?
- Yes! Please bring a copy of your ticket(s) with you to ensure checkin goes as smoothly as possible
Will I be able to buy my tickets in person on the day of the event?
- You will definitely be able to buy gate admission & ceilidh tickets on the day of the event!
- You will only be able to purchase tickets to the pig roast supper on the day of the event if there are remaining tickets, since there will be a limited amount
- We also recommend buying the tickets (even Gate Admission tickets) in advance so that you receive our email updates with the finalized schedule of entertainment, a map of the venue, and other information relevant to the day.
How do I know which ticket option to choose?
- First, decide which part of the event you are wanting to attend. Only want to attend the day events (such as vendors, entertainment, demonstrators, heavy events, highland dancers, etc)? Then you will want the Gate Admission ticket options. Do you also want to attend the pig roast supper and the ceilidh (dance)? Then you will want the All Day Package
- IMPORTANT- ALL DAY PACKAGES MUST BE PURCHASED AT LEAST 2 WEEKS IN ADVANCE!
- Next, choose the respective tickets based on the age of who the ticket is for.
- Have a large family or a large group? Family and group rates available. Please email us for more information at email@example.com, Subject Line: Family/Group Rates
- *Ceilidh-Only tickets are available too
Are discounted tickets available?
- The only discounted tickets we offer is for volunteers. If you would like to volunteer at our event, please sign up here.
I'm not Scottish. Is this an event I would still enjoy?
- Absolutely! It is a fun-filled day full of entertainment that happens to have a focus on Scottish themes! Stay tuned for a finalized schedule of events, or take a gander at our previous Gathering of the Clans events that we have held!
I'm from out of town. Is there anywhere that I can stay overnight?
- Definitely! There are a variety of hotels, motels, and campsites in the area. Here are some:
- Town of Killam: Wagon Wheel Motel, Killam Krossing, Centellial Park Campground, Lagoona Beach RV Park
- Town of Sedgewick: The Wick Motel, Sedgewick Lake Park
- Village of Lougheed: Trout Pond Campground
- Town of Hardisty: List of Camping Options, Super 8, Solitaire Lodge, R&R Inn and Suites, Lakeview R&R Inn, Hardisty Motel
- Some of these venues may be booked for the weekend already so be sure to call them in advance.
Do I need to bring cash with me?
- We highly recommend you bring cash. While many vendors accept card, it is best to be safe and still bring cash! There is an ATM on site as well as a Vision Credit Union on Main Street when you need to withdraw cash during the day.
- At the very least, you will likely need cash for things like Beer Gardens and/or Gate Admission (if you didn't pre-purchase your ticket).
I'd like to plan my day. Is there a detailed schedule of events?
- We are fine tuning all of the wonderful events for the day as we speak! As soon as it is available, we will send you an email with the finalized schedule (assuming you've registered for tickets). If you haven't yet purchased tickets, follow our Facebook Event or keep checking the schedule shown below!
How do I get to the location?
- If you haven't been to Sedgewick before, don't worry! It's a simple town to navigate. You can either google "Wild Rose Coop Recreation Centre", or turn off of Highway 13 into Sedgewick, go past the train tracks, and turn left AFTER the second stop sign.
Will there be free parking?
- Yes absolutely. All parking will be free!
I have dietary restrictions. What will there be for me to eat?
- Depending on what your dietary restrictions are, we are sure there will be food for you to eat! If you have any particular questions, feel free to email us and we would be happy to help you! @firstname.lastname@example.org
Have any other questions that haven't been answered?
- Send us an email at email@example.com
Ratté String QuartetInside Stage
5 hours 30 minutes
Birds of Prey
Gate admission ONLY for one person 13 years and up
Gate Admission- Age 12 & Under
Gate admission ONLY for one child 12 years and under
Gate Admission- Age 5 & Under
Gate admission ONLY for one child 5 years and under
Ceilidh (dance) ticket ONLY for one person 13 years and up